Businesses today are deploying Digital Marketing tactics to generate leads and reach target audience. And while it is booming, businesses require next generation talent augmented with Digital Marketing to tackle the competition. Hence, it is undeniable that Digital Marketing has opened ample opportunities for job seekers. But the story doesn’t end up here. Procuring a position in this domain is challenging in itself. Whenever I Google for job opportunities in digital marketing, I come across many articles like ‘How to crack Digital Marketing interview’ or ‘Questions asked in Digital Marketing Interview’. But believe me, this entire mindset is wrong.
To make this topic bright for you, today I have brought something out of my very own experience. First of all, searching alone for the questions will not really help. What actually required is the exact skillset that inculcates the in-depth knowledge and practice of Digital Marketing.
Before learning how to crack digital marketing interview, let’s talk about a few stats which can claim Digital Marketing is a good career option.
1. According Forbes, 82 percent of the consumers conduct research online before making the purchase decision.
2. HubSpot says, 57 percent marketers have stated that SEO generates more leads than any other marketing initiative.
3. SmartInsights reports, 48 percent of consumers start mobile research with a search engine.
Clearly, a digital marketing company is a good option for the interested job seekers to build and nurture their career with Digital Marketing
But it is also true that it is not possible to join a digital marketing company without going in and out of the concepts of digital marketing. This simple yet comprehensive guide will surely acknowledge you with certain key basics required to crack digital marketing interview of any company.
1. Know the in-depth meaning of Digital Marketing
When you Google about “Digital Marketing” you will find that it is the concept of marketing your product or services through digital channels like: Social Media, Email, Blogs and as many online channels you can think. But that’s not everything required. The interviewer will certainly not going to ask you the meaning of digital marketing straightaway.
The interview may ask you questions like:
- Why are you seeking a profile in Digital Marketing?
- Do you have any exceptional knowledge about Digital Marketing?
You can answer such type of questions only if you have hands-on experience in digital marketing. Let’s hop on to the next step to begin.
2. Synchronize exceptional knowledge of Digital Marketing
Digital Marketing is a really vast concept that includes numerous marketing channels which majorly includes: Social Media Marketing, Search Engine Optimization, Search Engine Marketing, Email Marketing The interviewer is expecting a lot more than this. Let’s start by grasping a few techniques of respective digital channels.
2.1. Social Media Marketing
When we talk about Social Media Marketing, even a kid knows that it includes marketing of services or products by means of social media platforms like: Facebook, Twitter etc. But knowing the meaning isn’t enough to impress the interviewer. You need to have a little distinctive knowledge. For example:
- Including hashtags in tweets is insanely common, but do you know that including more than 2 hashtags in a tweet is a vague technique.
- Sharing content on LinkedIn is also very common way to get attention of relevant people, but do you know that sharing content in LinkedIn Groups does the outstanding job.
- Many beginners also have no idea about LinkedIn’s blogging medium Pulse, which yields amazing reach of your content to relevant people. Cross linking your website content or blogs with your LinkedIn Pulse article is also a great approach.
2.2. Search Engine Optimization
Building backlinks to your content is the backbone for ranking well on Google. But you need to know the best practices of SEO. A few of them are like:
- Submitting content on online bookmarking sites like: StumbleUpon and Reddit
- Internal linking of website content
- Choosing the most searched keywords for website content.
- Making use of a complete SEO management tool like RankWatch to optimize your content and compete with the competitors.
2.3. Email Marketing
Sending promotional emails to your subscribers isn’t everything included in Digital Marketing. Your interviewer wants to know how effectively you do it. A few best techniques are like:
- Building the email list by exporting email addresses from email account, Linkedin account etc.
- Segmenting email list based on profiles like: existing customers, potential customers, and subscribers to target them respectively.
- Creating concise content that defines the benefits and features of the product or service to the users.
- Using analytics to track the email delivery status, open rate, click through rate, bounce rate etc.
2.4. Search Engine Marketing
Search engine marketing is simply the practice of promoting the landing pages of products or services with the help of platforms like Google Adwords and Bing Ads. It is a very narrowed form of digital marketing that requires
If you are planning to learn Digital Marketing for career growth then I suggest you to enroll for the Certified Digital Marketing Masters course from Asia’s leading Digital Marketing training company Digital Vidya.
3. Learn about various Digital Marketing Tools
Learning to crack digital marketing interview isn’t complete without possessing capacity to work with digital marketing tools of your specialization. Listed below are some tools of respective branches of Digital Marketing which are commonly used and much required.
- RankWatch is a great search engine optimization software that provides deep analysis of keywords, hidden keywords, website improvement suggestions and competitor analysis. It is a must have tool for any level of marketer or organization that is making use of Digital Marketing. Just signup for free to get started.
- Mailchimp is the most popular email marketing platform that offers 3 different plans. As a beginner, it is recommended to send start with the free plan that includes sending of upto 1200 promotional emails to over 2000 email addresses. You can signup for the free plan and upgrade your account at the latter stage.
- HootSuite is a great social listening tool that helps you manage all your social media profiles at one place. With Hootsuite, you can post your website content on all social media channels, reply to the user comments and track performance of the content you share. The good news is, you can signup for the free plan of HootSuite to get started.
- Google Analytics is the free tool provided by Google to analyze your website traffic. But it involves a small learning curve to become an expert of the tool. But don’t worry! you can learn Google Analytics comprehensively by just registering for the official Google academy courses free of cost.
- Google Keyword Planner is the keyword research tool that will help you identify keywords to make your content reachable. All you need to do is just signup to Google Keyword Planner using your Google account.
- SEMrush is another tool that helps to identify keywords and related keywords, but the main benefit lies in the premium account of the tool. You will also be able to identify your cheif competitors and get data about the backlinks. Start by signing up for free.
- SimilarWeb provides analysis for any website. It is used to analyze the traffic of your competitors. Using SimilarWeb is immensely easy. Just visit the homepage and in the search field just type in the name of any website to view the analysis.
4. Read a Lot
Read digital marketing blogs as many as you can. There are numerous digital marketing blogs available, the leading ones are Hubspot, Digital Marketing Institute and Content Marketing Institute. Work a little on your attention span, this will prepare you to read thoroughly and learn the most out of every article. This will keep you updated with the latest digital marketing news. At the time of interview you will feel more confident and you will be having latest updates from the digital marketing domain to share with the interviewer.
5. Get Connected
Connect with authors of your favorite digital marketing blogs via platforms like LinkedIn and Twitter in order to share queries and get advice from them. It is also advised to retweet the tweets of your ideal bloggers and thought leaders to get attention. This will ultimately serve you in becoming a thought leader yourself. You can also make use of the leading Q&A platform Quora to ask your queries or even contribute content to the queries related to your expertise. You might be asking, how this can help? Let me give you a constructive answer to this. When you connect with people, you get the chance to share your content and updates with them. At the same time you get engagement for what you share. Any recruiter hiring for digital marketing jobs is much concerned about the influence that he/she is building online. Moreover, any candidate who is networked with people is more aware of the updates and recent cases of the industry.
So! Are you ready to crack Digital Marketing Interview?
With the tips mentioned in this guide, you will certainly give you a sneak peak of concepts involved in Digital Marketing. Instead of searching and mugging up digital marketing interview questions, it is better to learn and possess mastery in the domain so as to comfortably answer any question that the interviewer asks you.