In a previous post I have emphasized over various key points to craft a resume. Let us now learn to prepare for a job interview? I have organized certain crucial guidelines within this program for a successful job interview. But before taking you directly to the guidelines, I want you to review some questions.
- Are you really interested in attending your job interview?
- Do have enough information about the job profile and company?
- Have you prepared all the documents necessary to support you?
- Are you really ready to give your best shot at your job interview?
If you are unsure with your answers then indeed this program is for you. And it will definitely return you a high five after your job interview. We’ll start with basic points and conclude with some rigid ones. So just fill your lungs with a little more oxygen to concentrate over each step.
Step 1 – Study the organization
It is a pre-requisite to acknowledge yourself with the nature and requirements of the organization or company you are applying in. This information can be classified better into two categories:
A. Company Information
Obviously, the name and address of the company isn’t the only vital information for your job interview. You must go through some published sources and internet to study other aspects like:
- From how long the company has been in existence?
- Latest news about the company, products, services and latest investments made.
- Scope of the company: whether it is international or domestic
- Present and future goals of the company.
B. Job Information
Apart from knowing the educational qualifications and skills required, it is also necessary to acknowledge yourself about the:
- Job designation: To find out what experience you’ll get whether it is executive, management, marketing or anything else.
- Salary range: To quote your expectations properly when asked by the interviewer.
After gathering the above information you’ll definitely get a lot of interest showered on you. And you’ll be more likely start preparing for the job interview.
Step 2 – Work on your appearance
You must try to be well kept as much as possible and make sure to carry a precise appearance to your job interview. If you have planned to attend the interview with a funky hair style and sneakers, then just reconsider that. Avoid being casual even if the organization is small or informal itself. Believe me you’ll feel yourself distinguished and much well equipped from others in the waiting room.
Let us again divide this section into two counter parts:
A. Outfit for males
- Wear a properly fitted formal shirt of any color that doesn’t have polka dots on, it’s better if it is plain or solid colored.
- Wear a necktie to add stars to your getup.
- Clip in a fancy pen in your shirt’s pocket for grooming.
- Wear polished shoes and not sneakers.
- Set your hair into a formal look.
B. Outfit for females
- Avoid heavy makeup unless you are applying for modeling.
- Avoid wearing excessive jewels and heavy fragrance.
- Select formal or conservative clothes as per your taste.
- Arrange and tie your hair properly at the back of your head.
- Clothes must be unwrinkled.
I hope to have met your doubts and questions related to outfit and appearance. Let us roll over to the next step.
Step 3 – Practice
Who says preparation is a thing of amateurs? I urge you to overcome from this myth. Believe me even the popular personalities like president Obama and Saudian King Salman prepare for their speeches. Similarly in the case of a job interview you have to be prepared, so that you’ll be able to reveal yourself in front of the recruiters and give a shot to every question they ask. To elaborate this section let us go sequentially again:
A. Prepare for standard questions
- Why you want the job?
- Why you want to work for the particular organization?
- Why the company should take you in?
B. Prepare for behavioral questions
- Provide reasons for leaving the previous job.
- How did you work with your co-workers?
- Give details about the most difficult and biggest project you have ever handled.
C. Prepare to ask questions
Asking questions to the interviewer will certainly leave a great impression and display your interest in the company.
- You can ask about the future plans and goals of the company.
- Ask about the locations where the company has situated its offices.
- Any other information about the company which is not available on the internet.
Never ask anything about your performance, it is unprofessional. Also you shouldn’t ask about the basic questions related to the company, otherwise it will signal that you know very little about the company.
Step 4 – Plan appropriate time and material
A. Be on time
A recruiter always keeps an eye on the timing of the candidates. You may reach late with excuses but you’ll get rejected without excuses. So you aren’t supposed to be a late comer then, for that you just have to step into your old-school shoes.
- Prepare your clothes, shoes and grooming stuff at night.
- Sleep early and wake up early, but sleep proper to avoid yawning at the time of interview.
- Plan your conveyance on the day prior to interview.
B. Prepare your material
- Update your resume and mention your latest accomplishments and portfolio.
- If you are a freelancer then prepare necessary documents to prove your portfolio. This may include: reference letters from your clients or your tax return document if you are a tax payer.
- If you are employed and changing your job then take your relieving letter from your previous employer.
- Keep your resume and all other stuff nicely intact in a slim folder. Try to avoid carrying a bag.
If you have followed all the guidelines till now, then you’ll definitely be feeling confident to leave home for the interview. So let us take a last step ahead towards the successful interview.
Step 5 – Attend your job interview
A. Before you enter
Drink some water or a soft drink to moisten your throat before entering the company complex. Also keep your resume handy.
B. After entering
Hand over your resume to any person who asks for it, that person can be a receptionist or an assistant. After handing over your resume you’ll definitely be asked to wait.
C. While waiting
Maybe you are being watched by the recruiters via CCTV. So sit tight in the waiting room, remember your body language plays a vital part. DO NOT accept any eatables or refreshments except a glass of water. As you are not there to fill your stomach.
D. After entering HR room
Greet everyone by saying good morning or afternoon. DO NOT sit unless you are offered.
E. Be energetic
Speak slowly with energy and try to be vocal as much as possible, but avoid being too loud. Use plain language and try to convey the meaning of your statements clearly.
F. Be confident and attentive
Maintain eye contact and smile wherever applicable, this will surely represent positive attitude. But don’t stare all the time and avoid laughing. Pay attention to the questions and avoid being too serious otherwise it will signify that you are under pressure.
G. Close and Exit
Close your interview by saying thanks and a firm hand shake. Exit the door without making much noise.
I hope to have compiled all the necessary tips and information in this 5 Step Program for a successful Job Interview. Following these guidelines will certainly transform your appearance, attitude and body language. I’m sure that after attending your next job interview you’ll be returning home with a charming smile on your face.